Thursday, September 3, 2009

Scorpion!!

Ok...if anyone that reads this KNOWS me, they know I hate ALL THINGS creepy crawly! I hate bugs, mice, spiders...anything like that that is disgusting! Well...I have officially seen the newest thing I HATE THE MOST! Today, I came home from taking the kids to preschool and running a couple of errands, when as I was walking in the front gate to my house, I happened to glance down. And there it was!



This nasty, HUGE, ugly scorpion! I don't know why...but I always thought scorpions were black. Makes sense that it would be tan, so it could BLEND IN! I can't believe I didn't drop everything I was carrying and run screaming! I managed to stay calm. In fact, at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me and that couldn't possibly be what I thought it was. So, I went out and took a picture with my phone to send to Ben to confirm. Then, still being calm, went in and grabbed the camera for a better shot, so I could put it on my blog. Then, fear set in. Because as I was leaning over the gate...I wasn't getting too close, the gate creaked and the scorpion raised its tail. Ok, that is when I KNEW it was going to EAT ME! So, I calmly, turned off my camera and headed inside. I emailed Ben that he MUST come home on his prep and remove it! Then, I went back outside, walking into the rocks off my sidewalk, as to not get too close to the gate, to keep an eye on it until he could get there and... IT WAS GONE! That is when I squealed and started looking around in a panic to make sure it wasn't by my feet or something.

I stepped into an open area and squatted down to look around and under things to see if I could see it. NOPE! No where to be found. Now, I am officially terrified. Ben assured me that it was way too big to get into the house without the door open - not very comforting!

I think I'll carry a shovel with me when I go back outside to get the stuff I left in the back of the truck!

2 comments:

Emmett losing weight said...

Oh wow, what an experience. I don't think I've ever been that close to a scorpion.

Karen Beesley said...

Scorpions are the one thing that I don't miss. I remember when we were building our house way back in 1993. We moved in as soon as we could. We had no windows, no sheetrock, no inside doors, not even the kitchen. We had one bathroom finished and had black visqueen up for the temporary walls. I remember one night, getting ready for bed. I was walking to my bed and saw something move over to the left. I screamed and jumped onto the bed. It was a scorpion. My husband got up and threw his work boots at it and killed it. He cleaned it up and everything was well again. About 10 minutes later, I am walking to bed again and see something to the left again. This time, I screamed bloody murder and jumped on the bed again. It was the MAMA scorpion coming to look for her baby. What a memorable night. The kids still remind me of the it when they want to creep me out. Ben probably knows the whole story.