Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Quiet Reflection

As I sit here and listen to only the clattering key board, and the dryer through the wall, I wonder where the phrase "silence is golden" came from. Does anyone know?

Some days, as I'm sure any mother would attest, all I want is five minutes of silence! Just some time to clear my mind and have thoughts that don't surround work and/or taking care of two toddlers. But other times, I love the noise. I love the sounds of laughter coming from the kids. I love hearing what they are going to come up with next. I swear, I need to start writing the stuff they say down so that I can share it with them when they are older.

Tonight, in the bathtub, Antonio was being a little cranky. I told him to be nice to his sister. He said, "no, my don't want be nice." Analise turned at him and screamed, then she said, "my scream at you, be nice me!" It was so funny. I had a hard time not laughing out loud. I don't want her to yell at him, and I don't want to be mean to her, so I know if I laugh when they are doing it, it is going to promote the behavior. But, gosh! It was funny.

They are so funny. That show, Kids Say The Darnedest Things, I could host the show from my house. I could be rich!! My kids would make millions laugh. Ok, maybe not all the time, but when they are being funny...they are funny!

To slightly change points, I wanted to update you on how preschool is going. Analise LOVES it! I know, if you know my kids, you aren't surprised. She is definitely the more outgoing of the two. She kisses me and goes when I drop off. Not a problem to drop off at all. In fact, a couple of times I have had to call her back to give me a kiss because she has run off to play without even telling me bye.

Antonio on the other hand, is still adjusting. I still have to peel him off me, crying to be able to leave. His teacher, Miss Jenny, assures me that he only cries for a few moments after I'm gone and then he is fine the rest of the time. It doesn't relieve my guilt when I leave and he is crying, but I know what he is learning and the social interaction is great for him. Maybe it will make Kindergarten easier, because as sad as it makes me...it is right around the corner!

When I pick them up, they are all smiles. They are happy to see me and reassure me that they want to go back. That always makes me feel better. And the work I am able to get done while they are there is great for me too. Whether it is cleaning up around the house, working on work projects, or taking the time to hit the gym...it is very nice to have some me time. I honestly think it makes me feel more relaxed when they are with me. I'm not so stressed because I do have the little break. I am so glad I decided to do this. Thank you so much, to those of you who encouraged me to do it.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Amy --
Silence is Golden is a proverb for the wise or the superstitious. It just reminds you to be blessed when you have silence as it is your time.

Teachers know this after the final bell of the day rings!