Monday, August 17, 2009

Preschool and a little guilt trip

As some of you may know, I have been batting the idea of preschool 3 days a week around for almost all summer. I want them to have more social interaction and a learning environment. It will also help me with giving me more time to get work done for both my job and around the house.

It has been a stress point for me. I know it will be great for them and great for me too, but I have this horrendous guilt about sending them to preschool (daycare) when I am home and can be taking care of them. I absolutely love being with them, even when they drive me crazy! They make me laugh every day, so to send them somewhere else when I am at home, is an awful feeling for me.

Well, I broke down and decided that this is what they need and what I need. I decided Pahrump Early Learning Academy would be the best place for them. I know the owner, and she is a fabulous lady. I know she wouldn't have someone on her staff that wouldn't do a great job taking care of my babies, so we set up to do a trial week before we officially commit.

Their first day was today and the drop off was as bad as I thought it would - for Antonio. Analise acted like she could have cared less. One of her friends that we get together with on a regular basis, Peyton, was there and the two of them took off playing together. Antonio, who had begged me earlier in the morning "Mommy, no leave me!" Wasn't as anxious to go run and play. He held tightly to me and when Pam's (the owner) daughter, Avery came to take him he screamed and cried.

After I was safely inside out of his sight, I cried a little too. The only reason I didn't just turn around and take him with me was I knew that he would be fine. And I was right.

When I picked up I got the report that they both did great. He was sad at first, but then picked right up and went on - no more tears. Boy, that made me feel so much better!! Analise was happy to see me and excited to know that she gets to come back on Wednesday. Antonio seemed a little unsure about that one, but in the car did say "Mommy, I want go back." So, we will see how Daddy does dropping off on Wednesday! :)
The kids on their first day.
Analise (very excited) and Antonio (not so excited)

2 comments:

Jessica Osborn Duff said...

I know exactly how you feel! I cried when they went to preschool and I cried when they went to Kindergarten. Its just a mommy thing. We dont like having to let go of our babies!!

Cami said...

Amy!! I can't believe the twins are old enough to go to preschool! And I too remember those guilty feeilings, but it will get easier and better. I remember when Coby went off to preschool and I was home alone...but I soon found that he loved it and it let me have some quiet time to myself, sometimes to get chores done, lunches with friends, and sometimes I would just snuggle up to watch a chick movie! And it's so fun when they come home and tell you about their day. It will be a blessing, for you and them!